Travel + Leisure magazine have just compiled a list of the Top 10 tourist sights in the world and what came out as number 1? Times Square, New York!
How was the list compiled? T+L used data from attractions, government agencies, industry reports and media outlets. As for Times Square, The Times Square Alliance estimated that 80% of the 49 million tourists who visited New York in 2010 came to visit the iconic square.
"Tourist attractions" were deemed to be "cultural and historical sites, natural landmarks, and officially designated spaces," the magazine says.
This list may be controversial though as 9 of the top 10 sights are in the USA.
Let us know what your top 10 list would be.
Travel + Leisure Magazines Top 10 list
1. Times Square (39.2 million)
2. Central Park in NYC (38 million).
3. Washington, D.C.'s Union Station (37 million)
4. Las Vegas Strip (29.5 million)
5. Niagara Falls (22.5 million)
6. NYC's Grand Central Terminal (21.6 million)
7. Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston (18 million)
8. Disney World's Magic Kingdom, Orlando (about 17 million)
9. Disneyland, Anaheim, Calif. (about 16 million. Disney never gives attendance figures, so both these are estimates.)
10. Grand Bazaar, Istanbul (15 million)
And what countries receive the most tourists? France is first, USA second and China 3rd!